Sunday, February 10, 2008

FREEDOM (training update)



There's something about the feeling of warmth of the sun on your face. Quite a change from my last 'monsoon/hail ride'. I was out on a solo 50-mile bike ride today from my house out to Fairfield. Most of the time a solo ride becomes an almost meditative affair for me. Just you, the beautiful outdoors and your thoughts (and cars).

As I rode through one of the neighborhoods, I passed a trio of 10-year old boys on their BMX bikes. Instantly, I was transported back to my summers as a kid, my buddies and I on our ten-speed bikes, with our handlebars rotated up (the 'cool' way back then), riding wheelies, racing around the block, getting home at sundown, but mostly that exhilarating sense of freedom, adventure and discovery.

I think there's still that kid in all of us. Really, that's what the sport of triathlon is, swimming, biking and running, what kids enjoy instinctively. Here I was on my 'serious' training ride, but besides $2000 worth of gear and a several decades of age (yikes), the kids and I were both the same, on our bikes, wind and sun in our face, the freedom to explore, not a care in the world.

No comments: